Posted by: LovelyAnomaly | September 29, 2008

Heat Exhaustion

I suppose I left off with people sitting on the edge of their seats about the whole ER thing.  

Last Tuesday was an obscenely hot day for late September, and the production crew and I had been busy delivering a huge order of Asters to one of the display gardens.  And by “huge order” I really do mean hundreds of hundreds of asters.  Each 1 gallon pot holding a massive aster inside.  Take  two pots per trip from the bench to the trailer, then from the trailer to the garden, then reload… all morning long from 6am to our 10am break, and again from 10:30 to noon.  When noon finally arrived, I was tired, hot, and hungry.  Just as we were heading into the office for lunch, a large semi pulled up with the evergreen Winter Wonderland display plants.  The truck was loaded with miniature conifers, but also with impressive, weeping spruces and other trees that were already taller than me.  No rest for the weary–we had to unload these plants ASAP so the truck driver could continue on his day.

Noon passed to 12:30 with no lunch, and the day growing hotter by the minute.  Finally, I spoke up to my supervisor, “I don’t think I’m going to make it without some food.”  And with that, she sent me inside.

The air conditioning was blasting, I gulped down my third Nalgene of the day.  I shivered in the AC, but still felt like I was boiling inside.  I finished my meal, but I felt like I would collapse if I stood up.  My boss came in, and noticed that my face was bright red.  “You don’t look so good,” was all that he could say.

Moments later I was whisked away on an ambulance answering the usual questions to make sure I was aware of my surroundings, “What’s your birthday?  What day is it?  Who’s the president of the United States?”

Ugh.  Don’t remind me.

I arrived at the hospital, told my story 5001 more times to every doctor, nurse, assistant, or student that came in to look at me.  (I secretly wished that J.D. or McDreamy could come in to check on me.) 

A few bags of solution and an IV-inserted pain-reliever later, I was released from the hospital and sent on my way home.  My boss dropped me off and I slept like a baby for the rest of the day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: